I love to cook, want to try new recipes, need to practice my cooking skills!! No better time than the present. Share with me your favourite recipe so we all can try something new! I’ll go first…Here’s my recipe for Bacalhau com Natas. Now, your turn!
This dish has more variations than anybody can count, and this version happens to be my favourite way to enjoy this codfish delight, as it also happens to be the favourite of many Portuguese food lovers around the world. It is made with “natas”, or heavy cream, and can be very simple to make with this easy and traditional recipe.
1/2 pounds of salted cod, cut in 4 pieces
2 onions, peeled and sliced thin
1 3/4 cups milk
4 tablespoons Portuguese olive oil
1/2 pound of potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons of regular flour
1/4 cups of water
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
3 tablespoons shredded cheese
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1) Begin by soaking the cod in the refrigerator. After 24-48 hours in cold water or milk, drain the cod, rinse, and drain again.
2) Remove bones and skin and pull the cod into small shreds, set aside.
3) In a heavy skillet over low heat, saute the onion in olive oil until soft and golden.
4) Stir-fry the potatoes in the oil in a second heavy skillet over low heat about 3 minutes, add the water, turn the heat to its lowest, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes.
5) When the onions are softly golden, mix in the cod and 1/2 cup milk, cover and cook over lowest heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
6) While the cod cooks, prepare a white sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and blend in the flour, add the remaining milk and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Blend in the pepper and reserve.
7) When the cod has only 10 minutes more to cook, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. When the cod is done, mix in the potatoes, white sauce, and cream.
8) Transfer to a baking casserole dish and cover it with the shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 15 min. Then lower to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and let it bake for another 20 to 25 minutes.
9) Once done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes and then it is ready to serve.
Now let’s practice your cooking skills… Bom apetite!
If you whant to discover more life style tips search over my blog life style
Isabel Romano | + 351 933263788 | AMI 7543 | email@example.com